Conservation of Mechanical Energy
Equipment: 1 photogate timer, 1 angle indicator, track, stand, 1 glider, picket fence, weight.
1. Measure the mass of the glider and the angle of the track.
2. Begin from rest and from the top of track. Place timer at the bottom.
3. Find x by noticing when the light goes on (add 2.5/2 cm).
4. Conservation of ME
MEi = MEf => 1/2mvi2 + mghi = 1/2mvf2 + mghf => 0 + mgh = 1/2mvf2 + 0 => 2gh = vf2
Repeat by adding a weight on the glider and changing x.
1) Rotate angle indicator counterclockwise
2) As you change the angle the x may not remain the same.
1) Was ME conserved?
2) What are some possible sources of error?